For every situation that can occur, it will always be the best option to have an external reaction force to assist. This does not have to be an armed response company, as your local policing service might even be more efficient, and that will strongly depend on your specific country and location. This can even be a community policing project in your area with which you can have constant contact. At no point in any situation will I suggest that anyone as the man/protector of the home go out into danger to try and approach the threat. One great reason for this is that your family will be more vulnerable than ever when you are taken out of the equation.
The main purpose of a reaction unit is to scare off or possibly even arrest the invader/s. Any reaction unit you choose should be able to face the types of emergencies that you will most likely encounter. Whatever reaction unit you choose should generally comply with the following aspects:
When it’s your local police service:
- You need them to react as fast as possible, but please keep in mind that at any given moment they might be busy with more calls than they can handle or anything that requires more attention than normal and this will greatly influence their response times.
- Research and ask around about your local police service, what is their average response times, are they equipped for the job? Do they act professionally?
When you are looking at hiring a professional service:
- The company should be registered with the relevant authorities of your country.
- The company should comply with all the relevant laws on the service they are providing and the laws implemented by your country in regards to using firearms or lethal weapons used by the company.
- The response personnel should be trained appropriately.
- The company should have a reputable name, you don’t want a fly-by-night company to come to the rescue in your moment of need.
- The company should regularly send their response personnel for updated training.
- Preferably you want a company that wants to instruct you on their expertise and not one who wants to know what you prefer to have unless both agree on the same input. Once a company wants to know what you prefer, you need a more professional company. (You never hire an expert just to tell them what to do, because then you didn’t need them in the first place).
- The company should have enough infrastructure to be able to respond to all their clients.
- Price, of course, plays a great role, don’t settle for the cheapest and don’t expect the most expensive ones to be the best in the industry.
If you are considering utilizing your neighborhood watch or community policing service:
- You need a community that is big enough to have someone on standby or constantly out on patrol, who can react immediately.
- They should not try and be the Rambo’s of town, they have no more power or authority than any natural person do.
- They don’t necessarily care about you, they care more about getting a piece of the action.
- They will have to wait for professional assistance when there is a real threat.